There is a lot of foreign stuff, especially the vocabulary, used in the English Language. This stuff has become the part and parcel of this language. Being digestive, it can easily absorb the vocabulary from the foreign languages.
Moreover, it is very important for the English Language Learner to learn and use the words, phrases and Expressions in their day-to-day interaction. They are also important for the students as they come in various competitive exams by IBPS, SSC.
Here we are preparing a list of some very important Foreign Words. So we advise you to read and prepare these words from this list and use them wherever it is necessary.
35 Important Foreign Words and Expressions for use in the English Language –
1. Ab initio – From the beginning
2. Ad hoc – Extempore, For the special purpose
3. Alma Mater – mother institution ( school, College, university) a person attended
4. Apropos – ( French Expression) with reference to
5. Alibi – False excuse for absence, a piece of evidence ( generally false) that one was elsewhere when the act took place
6. Alter Ego – A bosom friend
7. Alpha and Omega – the beginning and the end
8. Alias – Nick Name ( Johnson alias Jonny )
9. Ad infinitum – Forever, For ending period
10. Bon voyage – French Expression – Good Journey
11. Bona Fide – Genuine, Sincere
12. Bonhomie – Friendliness, Sociability
Thirty Five + Daily Use/ Important Foreign Words/ Expressions
13. Bourgeoisie – The middle class
14. Bete Noire – pet hate, a thing/person of disliking
15. Communique – Official Communication/ Information
16. Coiffeur – A hairdresser
17. Cuisine – Style of Cooking
18. Detour – Roundabout route
19. De jure – Legally, As per the law
20. De facto – Real / Actual
21. Deja vu – French Expression – Already seen/ felt
22. Denouement – Finale / Final part of a play
23. en bloc – Together/ In a group
24. ex gratia – Done with a sense of moral obligation, favor
25. Gratis – Free of cost, without charge
26. Leitmotif – A recurrent/repeated theme
27. Mutatis Mutandis – Making necessary changes
28. Potpourri – Mixture/ Collection/ Medley
29. Quid pro quo – Tit for tat
30. Status Quo – Existing state of affairs
31. Per se – by or in itself, naturally
32. Sobriquet – Nickname
33. Suo Moto – Latin Expression – On its own motion/ Act on its own initiative
34. Vendetta – Blood Feud, Quarrel between two families for vengeance.
35. Vis-a-vis – In relation to, Face to face
36. Plogging – Combination of Jogging with picking up litter ( from Swedish word plocka upp ) – very popular word in India now.
37. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious – wonderful, beautiful
For more Foreign words/ expressions, keep visiting. Give your feedback through the comment box below.