Conjunctions or Linkers are very useful in English. It is imperative for an English Learner to have complete knowledge of their usage in a sentence. The candidates can get command over the Conjunctions through constant practice. Below we are providing you some important Conjunctions and their usage along with the definition.
Learn how to do Common Error Sentences from here.
What is a Conjunction ?
A conjunction is a word which joins two or more than two words, phrases, clauses or sentences. Check the following examples –
- Rudra and Kinjal are playing together.
- I gave him money and a piece of advice.
- I waited for him but he didn’t come.
- What would you like to have – tea or coffee ?
Note – The bold letters are conjunctions.
Read various Conjunctions and their uses –
1. As well as – और इसके साथ साथ
John abused me as well as threatened to kill me.
I as well as you am to go.
2. Or else – नहीं तो वरना
Hurry up, or else you will miss the bus.
3. Hence – इस प्रकार , अतः
He was not invited hence he didn’t come.
4. Consequently – परिणाम स्वरुप, फलतः
They didn’t work hard, consequently they have failed.
5. either — or – या तो यह या वोह
He is either a thief or a murderer.
6. neither —— nor – ना तो यह ना वोह
Neither I nor you shall go there.
7. Both —- and – दोनों ही
He is both intelligent and honest.
8. So ——- that – इतना ——- कि
He is so weak that he can’t walk.
9. too ——– to – इतना ——- कि
He is too weak to walk.
Note – too is never followed by any negative word like not, no etc.
10. So that / In order that – ताकि
We work hard so that we may succeed.
11. Although ——– yet – यद्यपि फिर भी
Although he worked hard, yet he failed.
12. So ——– as – इतना ——- कि
He is not so foolish as he appears to be.
Translation Practice Set of Conjunction ( Hindi to English )
13. as ——— as – इतना —— जितना
He is as clever as you.
Note – It is good to use so — as in the negative constructions whereas as ——- in affirmative sentences.
14. Whether —– or – चाहो ना चाहो
I will come whether you like or not.
15. As —- so – जैसा —– वैसा
As you sow so shall you reap.
16. No sooner ——— than – ज्योंही —– वैसे ही
No sooner had I reached the station than the train moved.
Note – In this construction, we use inversion ( change of the natural order ).
17. Hardly/ Scarcely ——— when – मुश्किल से ही
Hardly had he reached the school, the bell rang.
Note – In this construction, we also use inversion.
18. Not only ——— but also – ना सिर्फ यह बल्कि वह भी
He is not only intelligent but honest also.
19. Till or Until – जब तक या जब तक नहीं
Wait here till I come.
He didn’t go until I told him to go.
20. Provided – बशर्ते
He will believe you provided you speak the truth.
21. As if – मानों कि
He behaves as if he were a king.
22. Though – यद्यपि
Though he is poor, he is honest.
23. However – चाहे कितनी भी
He will not pass however hard work he may do.
24. Nevertheless – फिर भी
He was not invited to the marriage, nevertheless he came.
25. As far as – जहाँ तक
As far as he is concerned, he will not go.
Practice Set 1 for Conjunctions
Practice Set of Daily Useful Sentence
We shall provide you the Practice Sets for Conjunctions later. So keep visiting us.
Good work friend…