Conjunctions or Linkers are very useful in English. It is imperative for an English Learner to have complete knowledge of their usage in a sentence. The candidates can get command over the Conjunctions through constant practice. Below we are providing you some important Conjunctions and their usage along with the definition.
What is a Conjunction ?
- Rudra and Kinjal are playing together.
- I gave him money and a piece of advice.
- I waited for him but he didn’t come.
- What would you like to have – tea or coffee ?
Note – The bold letters are conjunctions.
Read various Conjunctions and their uses –
1. As well as – और इसके साथ साथ
John abused me as well as threatened to kill me.
I as well as you am to go.
2. Or else – नहीं तो वरना
Hurry up, or else you will miss the bus.
3. Hence – इस प्रकार , अतः
He was not invited hence he didn’t come.
4. Consequently – परिणाम स्वरुप, फलतः
They didn’t work hard, consequently they have failed.
5. either — or – या तो यह या वोह
He is either a thief or a murderer.
6. neither —— nor – ना तो यह ना वोह
Neither I nor you shall go there.
7. Both —- and – दोनों ही
He is both intelligent and honest.
8. So ——- that – इतना ——- कि
He is so weak that he can’t walk.
9. too ——– to – इतना ——- कि
He is too weak to walk.
Note – too is never followed by any negative word like not, no etc.
10. So that / In order that – ताकि
We work hard so that we may succeed.
11. Although ——– yet – यद्यपि फिर भी
Although he worked hard, yet he failed.
12. So ——– as – इतना ——- कि
He is not so foolish as he appears to be.
13. as ——— as – इतना —— जितना
He is as clever as you.
Note – It is good to use so — as in the negative constructions whereas as ——- in affirmative sentences.
14. Whether —– or – चाहो ना चाहो
I will come whether you like or not.
15. As —- so – जैसा —– वैसा
As you sow so shall you reap.
16. No sooner ——— than – ज्योंही —– वैसे ही
No sooner had I reached the station than the train moved.
Note – In this construction, we use inversion ( change of the natural order ).
17. Hardly/ Scarcely ——— when – मुश्किल से ही
Hardly had he reached the school, the bell rang.
Note – In this construction, we also use inversion.
18. Not only ——— but also – ना सिर्फ यह बल्कि वह भी
He is not only intelligent but honest also.
19. Till or Until – जब तक या जब तक नहीं
Wait here till I come.
He didn’t go until I told him to go.
20. Provided – बशर्ते
He will believe you provided you speak the truth.
21. As if – मानों कि
He behaves as if he were a king.
22. Though – यद्यपि
Though he is poor, he is honest.
23. However – चाहे कितनी भी
He will not pass however hard work he may do.
24. Nevertheless – फिर भी
He was not invited to the marriage, nevertheless he came.
25. As far as – जहाँ तक
As far as he is concerned, he will not go.
We shall provide you the Practice Sets for Conjunctions later. So keep visiting us.