Rules of Narration for Optative Sentences with Examples/ Practice Sets for Competitive exams like SSC SGL/ CHSL/HSSC, UPSSC etc.
What are Optative Sentences ?
The sentences which express wish or desire or pray etc are called Optative sentences. These sentences generally begin with May and end with a mark of Exclamation ( ! ). But sometimes we don't find the use of May in a sentence, but its hidden meaning is always there. For Example -
- May you live long !
- May God bless you ! etc.
Rules of changing of Narration with Optative Sentences -
- Rule 1 - We change Reporting verbs like say / says/ said in to wish/ wishes/ wished or pray/prays/prayed etc as per the meaning in the reported speech.
- Rule 2 - We replace inverted commas " " by that .
- Check Rule 3 - In direct speech, the structure is - May + Sub ........! whereas in indirect speech it is Sub + Might .....
- Rule 4. We replace Mark of Exclamation by Full Stop (.) .
- Rule 5 - In sentences carrying Good Morning, Good Evening, verb said to is changed into - wished
- Rule 6 - Good Bye - Bade good bye
She said ," May God bless you !"
Suggested Articles for You
|Career Guidance||Grammar Tips|
|Practice Sets||Exam/English Tips|
She prayed that God might bless you/ me.
The old woman said," May you live long!"
The old woman blessed/prayed that you/I might live long.
Practice Set for Optative Sentences -
- Teacher said to me," May you get success in life !"
- She said to her neighbour," May you die soon!"
- My friend said, " May God help you !"
- I said to her," You be happy in your life !"
- The subject said," Long live the king !"
- The Prime Minister said," Long live our Democracy!"
- People said," God save the nation!"
- I said," Her soul live in peace !"
- Teacher wished that I might get success in life.
- She cursed her neighbour that he/she might die soon.
- My friend prayed that God might help me.
- I wished her that she might be happy in her life.
- The subject prayed that the king might live long.
- The Prime Minister wished that their democracy might live long.
- People prayed that God might save the nation.
- I prayed that her soul might live in peace.