Adjective is one of the important topics of Grammar that appear in the competive exams conducted by Staff Selection Commission ( Centre or state ) , IBPS, RRB etc. We shall provide you with the definition of Adjective and its usage in sentences. There shall also be the Practice Set at the end of the rules.
Definition of Adjectives -
A word that qualifies a noun or pronoun with which it is used.
For Instance -
1. Rudra is a smart boy - Attributive
2. Kinjal is intelligent - Predicative
3. She is rich and beautiful - Predicative
In the first sentence, smart is an adjective which qualifies the noun 'boy'. In the second sentence intelligent is an adjective qualifying the noun Kinjal whereas in the third sentence rich and beautiful are the adjectives which qualify the pronoun 'she'.
Adjectives can be used in two ways -
Attributive use - When an Adjective is used before a noun, it is called attributive use.
Predicative use - When an Adjective is used in the predicative part of the sentence, is is called Predicative use.
See the Sentences 1, 2 and 3 above.
Types of Adjectives -
There are ten types of Adjectives -
1. Adjective of Quality - Related with the qualities of person or things -
e.g Joe is a tall man.
2. Adjective of Quantity -- This adjective talks about quantity of a thing.
e.g. I have much money.
3. Adjectives of Number - It is about numbers.
e.g. I have two children.
It is divided in to Cardinal and Ordinal Adjectives -
e.g. I have two cars. ( Cardinal Numbers )
I am the first person to go there. ( Ordinal Numbers )
4. Proper Adjectives - These adjectives are derived from proper nouns.
e.g. He is Chinese.
5. Possessive Adjectives - Such adjectives show possessions. They are used before nouns.
e.g. This is my car.
6. Distributive Adjectives -each, every, either, neither
e.g Each boy should have a book.
7. Demonstrative Adjectives - These adjectives point out to the things or persons to whom they have to qualify. For Example - this, that, these, those etc.
Demonstrative Adjectives are of two types.
Definite Adjectives - This, That, These, Those
Indefinite Adjectives - Some, Certain etc.
8. Interrogative Adjectives -
e.g. Which house is yours ?
9. Emphasizing Adjectives - Such adjectives are used to put emphasis on the qualifying nouns. These are Own and Very.
e.g. This is my own car.
10. Exclamatory Adjectives - Used to show exclamation -
e.g. What a beautiful girl she is !
Note - All the bold words are adjectives.
Very soon we shall update this post with some more rules of adjectives. So you are suggested to keep visiting this page or bookmark this website.