How to change Narration of Imperative Sentences - Read rules along with the Practice Set/ Solution -
In the last blog we had changed the Reported Speech of Interrogative sentences and Sentences with W-H Interrogatives. Now we will change the Narration of Imperative Sentences.
Imperative sentences are those which contain the sense of Request, Command, etc and always begin with the main verb. The subject 'You' is always implied.
Simple Imperative :
I said to him " Please, go to the market ."
Suggested Articles for You
|Career Guidance||Grammar Tips|
|Practice Sets||Exam/English Tips|
Rule No 1 - The Reporting verb will be changed as per the sense contained in the Reported Speech.
If there is the sense of Request, we will change said to into - requested
Order - said to in to - ordered
If the sense is not clear then we shall convert said into - told or asked etc.
I told him ....
Rule No 2 - Inverted commas are replaced by ' to '.
I requested him to ...
Rule No 3. The rest of the reported speech will come as it is.
I requested him to go to the market.
Negative Imperative :-
I said to him," Don't open the door,please."
Rules are almost same as in the Simple Imperative except 'not' which we insert in the negative imperative before 'to' while replacing inverted commas. We also use forbade while replacing said to when there is the sense other than request/advice etc. Forbade is itself a negative word. It will not take the word not after it.
I requested him not to open the door.
Practice Set for Imperative Sentences with Solution below
- She said to me " Go to the market at once ."
- I said to him ," Open the gate."
- Ram said to Shyam," Please help me."
- Kinjal said to Rudra," Don't waste your time."
- Rudra said to Kinjal," Don't take tea at night."
- I said to him, " Don't read my book."
- The master said to his servant," Bring me a glass of water at once."
- She asked me to go to the market at once.
- I asked him to open the gate.
- Ram requested Shyam not to waste his time.
- Kinjal advised Rudra not to waste his time.
- Rudra advised Kinjal not to take tea at night.
- I forbade him to read my book.
- The master ordered his servant to bring him glass of water at once.
In my next blog, I will come up with new topic of grammar.
Learn other topics of grammar :