There is much confusion among the English language learners over the use of Than and Then. They tend to use one for the other and in this way destroy the complete meaning of the sentence. Look at some of the common mistakes related with use of Than and Then.
Mistakes students / learners do while using Than and Then -
My brother is more intelligent then you. ✖
She woke up early and than went for a walk. ✖
See the correct use of Theirs -
My brother is more intelligent than you.
Suggested Articles for You
|Career Guidance||Grammar Tips|
|Practice Sets||Exam/English Tips|
She woke up early and then went for a walk.
Difference between Than and Then -
Use of Than - It is a conjunction / Sentence linker. We use it to show comparison with the comparative degree.
- She is more beautiful than her daughter. - वह अपनी लड़की से ज्यादा सुंदर है।
- Ram is older than his brother. - राम अपने भाई से उम्र में बड़ा है।
- UP is bigger than any other state of India. - UP भारत के किसी भी दूसरे राज्य से बड़ा है।
- Population of China is bigger than that of India. - चीन की जनसंख्या भारत की जनसंख्या से ज्यादा है।
- Indian people are taller than those of China. - भारत के लोग चीन के लोगों से ज्यादा लम्बे हैं।
Use of Then - फिर / तब
Then is an adverb of Time. This is the past of Now. For its correct use, read the following para.
He got up very late. Then he brushed his teeth. After that he took bath. Then he took his breakfast and went out for his office.
Translation - वह काफी लेट उठा। फिर उसने अपने दातों में ब्रश किया। इसके बाद उसने स्नान किया। फिर उसने नाश्ता किया व् ऑफिस के लिए निकल गया।
Past of Now -
He said, " I will not write now."
He said that he would not write then.
Then - तब तो / फिर तो
Then you should meet him.
Difference in Pronunciation of Than and Then -
Than rhymes with Man whereas Then with Men.
Don't forget to write your feedback related with this topic below in the comment box.
For more English Grammar and usage, keep visiting Examweb.in