Rules for changing the Narration and that of voice are quite different. Still at some point of time, students get confused while changing them. Here in this sentence, we shall clarify to you these confusing points. Generally this problem occurs while changing active voice in to the passive voice.
A Sentence of Narration –
She said to me ,” I will help this person ”
Change – She told me that she would help that person.
A Sentence regarding Voice –
I will help this person.
This person will be helped by me.
Wrong version – That person would be helped by me.
Points to remember regarding changing the sentences of Narration and Voice
Point 1 – While changing the voice, we don’t change the tense. Future will remain future.
It means while changing the voice, will not be changed in to would. It will remain as it is.
Check another examples –
- Rudra is playing cricket this time. – Active voice
- Cricket is being played by Rudra this time.
- Narration -He said,” Rudra is playing cricket this time .”
- He said that Rudra was playing cricket that time.
Changing of Adverbs in Narrations and Voices –
In the narrations, Adverbs get changed whereas In the Voice, we don’t change the adverbs.
- Kinjal is doing home work this time.
- Home work is being done by Kinjal this time.
Note – This time will remain this time while changing the voice while it will be that time in the indirect speech.
- Teacher said, ” Kinjal is doing home work this time .”
- Teacher said that Kinjal was doing home work that time.
Note 2 – It is clear from the examples above that the tense and adverbs are changed in the narrations only.
See more examples regarding this point – ( Change in the Narration and Active and Passive Voice )
- She is cooking food here. ( Active Voice )
- Food is being cooked by her here. ( No change of tense and Adverb ” here “.
- My brother said to me ,” She is cooking food here. ” ( Narration )
- My brother told me that she was cooking food there.” ( Changing of tense and adverb )