In my previous blog, I had told you about the use Present, Past and Future Indefinite Tenses. You can read that use from here. This blog post is dedicated to Continuous Tense. It means I will tell you about the use of Present Continuous, Past Continuous and Future Continuous Tense along with their structures. So without delay, let's start their use -
Present Continuous Tense -
Sub + is/am/are + v 1 + ing + obj.
Sub + is/am/are + not + v 1 + ing + obj.
Suggested Articles for You
|Career Guidance||Grammar Tips|
|Practice Sets||Exam/English Tips|
Is/ Am/ Are + Sub+ v 1 + ing + obj?
Use of Present Continuous Tense -
1. To show continuity of action in the present time with the words such as still, this time, these days, now, now-a-days, this moment etc.
e.g. What are you doing these days ?
She is preparing for exams today.
2. To show future also -
We are going to Delhi next week.
Past Continuous Tense -
It shows continuity of the past.
- Sub + was/were + v 1 + ing + obj.
- Sub + was/were + not + v 1 + ing + obj.
- Was/Were + Sub+ v 1 + ing + obj?
1. To show continuity of action in the past time with the words such as that time, those days, then, at that moment etc.
e.g. What were you doing those days ?
Children were playing this time yesterday.
2. If in one part past indefinite tense is given and action demands continuity -
e.g. When he came here, I was sleeping.
Future Indefinite - It shows simple statement related with Future.
- Sub + will be / shall be + v 1 + ing + obj.
- Sub + will/ shall + not + be + v 1 + ing + obj.
- Will/ Shall + Sub+ be + v 1 + ing + obj.
Use of Future Continuous Tense -
With the future indicating words such as tomorrow, next to show continuity of action -
e.g Children will be playing this time tomorrow.
Teacher will be teaching at present.
Read the use of Perfect Tense.