How to do narration – Learn Simple Rules
Assertive Sentences –
Rudra said to Kinjal ,” I will bring you a pen.” Direct Narration /Speech
Rudra told Kinjal that he would bring her a pen. Indirect Narration / Speech
Rule No. 1 –
say to shall be changed in to tell
says to in to tells
said to in to told
will/shall say to in to will/shall tell
Say/ Says/Said will remain same.
Rule No. 2 –
Inverted Commas in to that
Rule No 3 –
Use the rule SON/123 to change the Persons –
S stands for Subject
O for Object
N for No change
Subject shall be changed as per the 1st Person, Object as per the 2nd Person and 3rd Remains unchanged.
See the table to check the rules of changing Tense.
Interrogative Narration :
There are two types of Interrogative narration –
Simple Interrogative and Interrogative with W-H Family.
Example of Simple Interrogative :
He said to me ” Are you mad ?”
Example of W-H Interrogative Sentence :
He said to me ” Why are you late ?”
Now how to change the direct narration of Interrogative sentences in to Indirect narration :
First of all we shall change the narration of Simple Interrogative sentence :
First of all we will change the the reported verb as follows –
- Said to into asked
- Say to – ask
- Says to – asks etc.
- Inverted commas are converted into if or whether
- Subject will be followed by the verb now.
- Change the persons as per the rule.
- In the end use the full stop instead of Mark of Interrogation.
example : He asked me if I was mad.
There is a bit of change in the Interrogative with W-H family.Here instead of replacing inverted commas with if or whether, you will use the word of W-H family.
e.g He asked me why I was late.
Practice some of the sentences from below :
- He said to me ” Do you know where he lives ?”
- I said to him ” Where were you going yesterday ?”
- Ram said to Suresh ” Why did you come late ?”
- They said to me ” Is there any rule for it ?”
- She asked me ” What is your name ?”
1. He asked me if I knew where he lived.
2. I asked him where I had been going the previous day.
3. Ram asked Suresh why he had come late.
4. They asked me if there was any rule for that.
5. She asked me what my name was.
In our next post we shall come up with new topic of grammar.
Learn some more topic of Grammar –