Paralympic Rio 2016 ( Summer) has been accomplished successfully. As usual, it has brought cheers for some sportspersons, disappointment for others. We are providing details related with this Mega Sports event for physically challenged but mentally sound people. We have tried our best to cover all events for the help of students/ examinees.
The event had started on 7th of Sept and ended on 18th of Sept 2016. The Paralympics included Twenty Three Sports. This 11 day Sports Festival had 528 Events. There were 225 Medals for Female Sports-persons, 265 for Males and 38 Mixed ones. Total 163 Countries and 4359 athletes had participated in it.
First Five Countries in Rio Summer Paralympics 2016
|Sr No||Name of the Country||Total No of Medals|
|1.||China||237 ( 105 Gold Medals)|
|2.||Great Britain||147 ( 64 GM)|
|3.||Ukraine||117 ( 41 GM)|
|4.||United States||112 ( 40 GM)|
|5.||Australia||79 ( 21 Gold Medal)|
* India has got 42nd position with total 4 Medals ( 02 Gold Medals, 01, 01 Silver, Bronze each)
Some Main Events and their Winners –
- Athletics Women’s 100 m ( T43/44) by Netherlands
- Athletics Men’s 4*400 Relay ( T53/54) – China
- Table Tennis Men – China
- Swimming ( Men) – 4* 100 Medley Relay – China
- Swimming ( women) – 4* 100 Medley Relay – Great Britain
- Long Jump – India
- Badminton – China ( Chen Long)
- Wheel Chair Fencing – China
Total 44% Medals have gone to Europe, with 26% and 17% for Asia and Americas respectively.
India’s Performance in Rio Paralympics 2016
For India it has been a successful event. India bagged total 8 medals in this recently concluded event. We have already mentioned above about Indian Medal Tally above. In all-time Medal Tally in Paralympics India stands 73rd as against 42nd in Rio Olympics.
- Devendra Jhajharia won Gold Medal in Javelin Throw. ( He had lost his left arm due to electricity current when he was only 8)
- Mariyappan Thangavelu has won Gold Medal in Long Jump Event at Rio Olympics. He belongs to Tamil Nadu. The state govt has decided to give him Rs 20 Million.
- Deepa Malik won Silver in Shot Put Event. She belongs to Haryana. She has become the first woman of India in doing so in Paralympics. The Haryana Govt has given her Rs 40 million.
- Varun Singh Bhati has won Bronze in Long Jump Event.
There is also one tragic report from Rio Paralympics. Iranian Para-cyclist got crashed to death during Men’s cycling race. The 42 year old Bahman Golbarnezhad suffered cardiac arrest immediately after the incident.