What is Gender in the nouns in English Grammar ? Its Types and Usage. Find the difference between some Popular Nouns.
Ans – A noun that denotes male or female sex is a gender. Man, Boy, Dog, Lion etc are Male Gender whereas Woman, Girl etc are female gender.
- Learn Rules of Nouns from here.
- Practice Set for Rules of Nouns
- Pick out nouns and pronouns from the given sentences
There are four types of Genders which are –
- Masculine Gender – It denotes male sex.
- Feminine Gender – Female Sex
- Common Gender – Common such as baby, child, doctor etc.
- Neuter Gender – For non-living objects such as Pen, Chair etc.
Rules related with Nouns and its Gender –
Rule – The nouns such as Sun, Death, Winter, Summer, Love, War, Ocean, Time etc come for expressing strength or firmness or energy and are considered Masculine Gender.
Example – Death keeps his own calendar.
Rule – If we use the nouns such as Woman, Girl or female before a common noun, they express feminine gender.
Example – Woman Teacher, Girl Child etc.
Difference between Woman Teacher and Lady Teacher –
Rules related with Nouns and its Gender – Prepare its Types and Usage with Translation
Out of these two terms, woman teacher is correct and the latter is incorrect. We don’t use the word Lady to denote sex.
Difference between Fisher-woman and Fish-wife –
Rule – Fisher-woman is the gender of Fisher-man whereas Fish-wife stands for a woman who sells fish.
Rule – The words such as Assistant, Cousin, Clerk, Doctor, Lecturer, Leader, Teacher, Friend, Dancer, Client, Professor etc are used as Common Nouns. We use them as Masculine or Feminine as per the requirement.
Example – He is a teacher/ She is a teacher.
Rule – The nouns like Child, Infant, Baby are used as common nouns. But when we talk about their sex, we use the gender accordingly.
- The child has burnt its hand.
- The child was a boy. He has burnt his hand.
Rule – When we use the names of the countries as Geographical Unit, we take them as Neuter Gender. But when we use them as personified objects and as political or economic units, we consider them Feminine Gender and use Feminine Pronouns with them.
- China is one of the largest countries of Asia. It is larger than India.
- India is proud of her culture.
Learn the usage of More Sentence related with Genders of Nouns Later.